Friday, October 18, 2013

3 weeks old

Last Friday 10/11/13 E was 3 weeks old!

I took a picture that day, edited it, uploaded it and then never posted.  I'll do a 4 week update tomorrow because things have changed since I started writing this post.

We are still having trouble breastfeeding. After 24 hours, I went back from trying to breastfeed to giving him  expressed breastmilk in a bottle. I called and left a message for the lactation consultant at the local hospital, but haven't heard back. People around here are horrible at returning messages. I waited two days and then contacted the local La Leche League via face.book to see if they had a recommendation for a lactation consultant over in Las Cruces (1 hour drive away) or El Paso (1.5 hour drive away). I'm willing to do almost anything to get help with his. I was extremely surprised to have heard back from the leader of the La Leche League almost immediately. I didn't realize that she is the local doula I had considered hiring and I was also lucky that she remembered me from my initial e-mail requesting information about her services. She agreed to do a home visit herself as she is also a post-partum doula who has had a lot of training in helping mom's breastfeed. I have an appointment at 11:30 tomorrow (Saturday 10/12/13).

Other than that, we're just chugging along. However, everyday feels like a bit of a time-suck. There is a lot to do and so little time to do it. I really thought this would be a breeze, and although I do get most everything done on my list each day as well as getting a shower, it always feels like there is more that I could have done and it also helps that I keep my list to 3 or fewer chores each day.

Ethan is a growing little boy, but still fits well into his preemie clothes. I have very few things that fit as there is nowhere local to buy preemie clothes, Wal.mart has limited options and I'm not going to buy a ton of stuff that he will outgrow immediately. Even though he his birth weight was rather low, he was still 18 inches long and really too long for most preemie things. A local friend tends to have low birth weight children and loaned me 7 outfits that I wash just about every day and mix in the few newborn sized clothes I have been gifted. Silly me thought we would have a big baby and bought 3 month old cloths instead of newborn sized, so I have nearly nothing of my own that fits! He doesn't seem to care though. He's happy as a clam just to be laying in a onsie on a pile of towels in the laundry basket.



1 comment:

  1. I hope you were able to get some help from the LC!
    I love the pic of him in the laundry basket. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you can relate to this post or have an opinion about it, please leave a comment.

I do read everyone of them and look forward to hearing what you have to say.