Tuesday, November 5, 2013

6 weeks old

On Friday November 1, Ethan was 6 weeks old. 

I know that I'm doing these posts back to back, but as I get more sleep, I'm more motivated to do things during the day. Including posting on this here blog! Actually, I shouldn't say that I get more sleep, I think that it is just that I've adjusted to getting less sleep and E is starting to form a more predictable schedule for himself. 

During the day E will eat every 3 hours and have some time periods during that where he is actually awake for more than 5 minutes or so. I guess that since we are now past his due date, he is starting to wake up a bit. During the night he wakes every 2-2.5 hours to eat, he is sometimes awake between feedings and is quite fussy as I try to get him back to sleep. He still has his nights and days flip-flopped.

He is sleeping in a co-sleeper in our room, but isn't actually co-sleeping. It is a half size pack and play meant for co-sleeping, it comes with a strap so that you can strap it to the mattress so that there is no gap and it is level with the bed. However, right now, the co-sleeper is at the foot of the bed so that either my husband or I can get up and reinsert the pacifier as needed, therefore, the co-sleeper isn't strapped to our bed, but rather about 6 inches away. I need to get some additional lift feet for it so that it can be the right height. Also, I need to get up and out of bed with him to change his diaper in the middle of the night. We are still fighting this diaper rash! That and the mess of the nipple shield all equal out to sleeping in a co-sleeper without actually co-sleeping.

This week we have officially switched to cloth diapers. I'm going at this cloth diapering thing full speed ahead. Even if we only cloth diaper for the time I am on maternity leave, the cloth diapers will have paid for themselves. I'd like to do a full post on how we are cloth diapering, so I won't go into it here, but E is in a cloth diaper in the picture below so I thought I'd mention it, it's not just that his butt grew 3 sizes overnight.

E is weighing in at just over 7 lbs, somewhere around 7 lbs 6 oz when weighed on our home scale. (Me getting on it with him, then getting on the scale without him and figuring out the difference) This method doesn't seem too accurate as I believe the scale to be rounding, also it doesn't measure in oz, so I have to convert. He is wearing mostly all newborn clothes, but the cloth diapers make some of the newborn sizes a little tight on him. The onesie he is wearing is a 3 mos size, but only because we didn't buy any newborn size onesies in white, thinking he'd be a big baby when he was born. 

Doesn't he look more like a baby now? Less like a fetus...or little old man?




3 comments:

  1. You are right, he has changed a lot! What a cute little face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely adjust to less sleep / sleeping in 2-3 hour fragments. It was amazing to me that it was "normal" to me after awhile to be like that!

    Which CDs are you using? Our AIOs were rated for 8#+, and I think Stella was 10# (4wks old) when we started using them. I hope you love yours as much as we loved ours!

    He is definitely looking more alert in photos - so cute!

    ReplyDelete

If you can relate to this post or have an opinion about it, please leave a comment.

I do read everyone of them and look forward to hearing what you have to say.