Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Weekly Wednesday Weigh-in: 7 weeks postpartum

 
The first time I did these weigh-ins, I really focused on my goals. I thought about my next week's weigh-in nearly every day. This time around, sleep deprivation and the care of a little one have drastically affected my focus. However, I still managed to exercise even if I didn't look back at these goals until this morning...oops! I also dropped a lb. (However, I did see a much lower weight on the scale this week, the weight I saw this morning was more consistent with the gradual weightloss I expect)

Also, I have set a definite final goal as far as timeline goes. If I lose 1 lb per week, every week, I should meet my goal in 15 weeks or so. If I add 8 weeks for Ethan's current age and then do a little mental math...hmm, 15 + 8...23... divide that by 4 or so...I should meet my goal when Ethan is 6 months old ! Seems too coincidental that this would fall around the same time, so I am making my final goal the same day that Ethan turns 6 months old, that will be September, October, November, December, January, February, March...yes March 20th, 2014.

125 lbs by March 20th or bust!

I really do need the support and accountability of writing this all down here. As you'll read below, that alone is a milestone for me, coming here each week to put this all down.

1. Reiterate my goal and where I stand in reference to this goal. (BMI info from this website)

Starting weight: 140 (6 weeks postpartum)        
Last Week's Weight: 140
Current Weight: 139 (-1 lbs total, 14 lbs to goal!!!)   
Goal Weight : 125       

Starting BMI: 24.8
Last Week's BMI: 24.8
Current BMI: 24.6 (In the normal range of 18.5-24.9)
Goal BMI: 22.1 for goal weight

2. Discuss what I am going to do to achieve my goals.

Progress on last week's activities:
1. Determine how much water I am consuming each day on average:  
In General, I am not consuming enough. I have a water bottle that I like that holds 24 oz. Without making any effort to increase how much I consume, I realized I would only drink about 2 full bottles a day. That is only 48 oz. I do also allow myself one soda a day which I don't factor into my total liquid intake. The Mayo Clinic's website recommends 8 glasses a day, assuming they mean 8 oz glasses, that would be 64 oz. I'm simply not drinking enough liquids.
2. Find a way to do yoga at home, either buy a video or look online/youtube:  
Without a gym membership, I am limited to doing yoga in my living room as I refuse to pay a per class rate. I can hook my ipad up to my TV in my living room, but as I have the original Ipad 1, I can only play video from certain programs on the TV. This means that I either have to buy a video on itunes to play it or get a DVD to play. I did neither of these things this week, but did at least hook up the ipad to the adapter to see what would work...baby steps I tell you.
3. Create a walking schedule where I can push E in the stroller: 
I have been walking with E with a friend, but not regularly and we only went one time this week. We went on a 1.25 mile path in town and I had a blister from new shoes from the previous week, I could not possibly have gone any further that day. Then on the other 2 days we were scheduled to go, her sons were each sick and not up for it.
4. Hike in the mountains before it gets too cold: 
I just realized that E is not technically big enough by weight for the moby wrap or mai tai wraps that I have for him. I have used them around the house and when grocery shopping, but a worried about him in them when I am doing something more strenuous. The weight minimum recommended is 8 lbs. I decided to wait until we hit that mark to take him for a hike. I'd rather be safe then wish I had afterwards. I could plan to go without him but I'm not ready for him to have a bottle while I'm gone, unless it was for something truly necessary.
5. Look into/start a couch to 5 k program: 
I downloaded 2 running programs on my phone and one called runkeeper has a beginner's running training program. They don't call it a couch to 5 k, but it has you running a 5 k after 8 weeks of training. I did my first training on Sunday and my second one on Tuesday. It has me do some sort of running every other day. It seems truly do-able to me. I will be running a 5 k with the program on January 3rd. However, there is a 5k fun run locally on December 7th. I'm thinking of registering, but don't want to overdo it to try to be done sooner.
In summary: I put way less effort into this than I had hoped. I will try to do better this next week and will only be modifying my goals slightly.
Activities for this coming week:
1. Consume at least the recommended water intake for a breastfeeding mom, 64 oz
2. Purchase some sort of yoga video or program that I can realistically see myself doing
3. Walk at least 2x with E in the stroller
4. Hike in the mountains with or without E
5. Continue 5k training program, no skipping days!!!

3. Post anything else I feel like sharing.
I think it was in my running program that I read recently a quote that went something along the lines of "people who set goals are more likely to achieve their goals". When I first read it, I thought there was some sort of grammatical error, or that someone was trying to be funny or at least ironic...Well duh, how do you achieve a goal that you didn't set in the first place! Then as I sat on the thought and came back to it later in the week, I realized that to me it actually means that people who set milestones to achieve along the way are more likely to achieve a major goal. That will be my motto throughout the next 4 months. Set milestones, work towards these milestones and I will be able to achieve this major goal.

2 comments:

  1. ARGH, I think it just deleted my comment! So annoyed. Here goes again, abbreviated version. :)

    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-calories-fluids/ -- great resource for calorie/fluid info for BFing moms. Everything I read said to shoot for 100oz/day while BFing, and I definitely needed that much to stay hydrated. This is dependent upon climate/metabolism/etc though. I'll be curious how your body to responds to more fluids.

    I think it's great to have concrete goals in relation to weight loss, but this is one situation where I'm curious if you'll need to amend or not. For me, I couldn't restrict cals to lose more than .5#/wk without affecting my milk supply. Hopefully that won't be the case for you!

    I can't wait to rejoin you on the WWW journey in a few short months!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I have been absent from the blogging world as of late but just saw that you had a baby boy! So very happy for you. All the best to you and your fam...

    ReplyDelete

If you can relate to this post or have an opinion about it, please leave a comment.

I do read everyone of them and look forward to hearing what you have to say.