Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The results are in...

for serious though, I can't decide if today was a fantastic, wonderful day or a craptastic-let-me-go-crawl-back-into-bed day. Could someone please decide for me?


I met with Doc today and found out why I was scheduled so immediately after my bloodwork and my HSG.


HSG is ok as I thought. BUT...I have hypothyroidism...who would have thunk it?


Turns out that Dr. Crazypants over at the local homeopathic medical plaza did...back in October! and I didn't believe him because he is crazy! Or at least he looks it and has very poor bed-side manner. Doc said that Dr. Crazypants does tell everyone that they have thyroid problems and I was right (in a sense) to question his "diagnosis".


I always thought that hypothyriodism meant that you had to be overweight. I'm 5'4" (who knew?!?! I've thought I was 5'2" for years) and 137 pounds. I could stand to loose a few pounds around the midsection, but overall I'm essentially healthy, or so I thought.

Turns out that normal Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH) is pretty much anything under 5. Doc Fudd said today that I had 8.6!!! Yipes!!! But I don't really scale-wise know how bad that is. 


Here are the symptoms of hypothyroidism in relation to what I've been experiencing-

Early symptoms:
  • Being more sensitive to cold-Check but I thought I'd just acclimated to a warmer climate
  • Constipation-Check, or the opposite sometimes
  • Depression-Check, but it seemed like the regular infertility blues (also, couple months back in early 2009 but my dog had died and the sadness just lingered)
  • Fatigue-Check, thought it was work related
  • Heavy menstural cycles-check but they've always been that way
  • Joint or muscle pain-check, check
  • Paleness or dry skin-check my lips are so chapped I think they will fall off sometimes
  • Thin or brittle hair or nails-nada, this one I escaped
  • Weakness-check
  • Weight gain (unintentional)-I never thought it was that bad
Late symptoms, if left untreated:
  • Decreased taste and smell-nope
  • Hoarsness-nope
  • Puffy face, hands, and feet-nope
  • Slow speech-yes, but I talk to people with hearing loss all day, it's a job requirement
  • Thickening of the skin-no
  • Thinning of eyebrows-YES!!! (this is what Dr. Crazypants picked up on)

Shit!!! I should have known!! and COULD have known 5 months ago had I believed the crazy man.

[Insert bad case of the shoulda, coulda, wouldas and the general self-loathing that comes with that]

I don't seem to have the infertility side effects that  tend to go with hypothyroidism such as anovulatory cycles, luteal phase defects, PCOS, chemical pregnancies and differences in length of menstrual cycles (that I know of, I still could be charting this all wrong)


I start popping pills tomorrow and go back for more blood work in 6 weeks. Doc gave me an order for more blood work and a very low dosage prescription.  He said that I shouldn't expect to get pregnant until my TSH looks better-meaning I'm responding to the medication. He will give me that time to respond then up the dosage. If he can't get it under control, then I will be referred to an endocrinologist (not a reproductive endocrinologist).


When I write it all down, my situation does not seem so dire. I'm glad to know what's going on, I hope this ends up being the only problem and can be solved in a matter of weeks or months. However, to find out I have a serious problem that I will likely have for the rest of my life was not exactly the news I expected to hear.



10 comments:

  1. That's a bummer - but at least it's treatable and not too hard to control. It's good to at least have an idea of what's been causing your IF issues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would believe a crazy man! Hope it will be under control not to long away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, I wanted to let you know that I was diagnosed with Subclinical Hypothyroidism last April, after my first set of Day 3 blood work with my OB/GYN. My TSH was just over 5, thus the Subclinical part. It's not necessarily something they treat at that level, unless there is a good reason, like TTC. I pushed to get my TSH under 2 while I was waiting to meet my RE, and she was happy with it between 1 and 2. (Last check it was 1.66). It took a few rounds of dose increases to get there, though the OB/GYN was happy when it got into the 3s. I'm now on Levoxyl 75. And I highly recommend a daily pill box! It's not really a big deal, but I might forget for a few days if I didn't have my little boxes to remind me.

    I too had a lot of the symptoms...IBS, anxiety & depression, weight gain and was really frustrated when I found out. I was able to check my TSH levels over the last 10 years because my thyroid was always checked whenever I complained of any ailment. It had been hovering between 3 and 5 for ten years. There seems to be some newer theories that it should really be below a 3. I really wish I had been aware of that a lot sooner...when I think back over the years of panic and stomach issues. But, at least I know now. My stomach has improved a lot, and I've dropped about 10-15 pounds since going on levoxyl. Still TTC though!

    One more random thought...in regards to stomach issues. I've been taking prenatal vitamins as reccommendedby my doctor, but I just had to switch back to a regular multi-vitamin with only 100% of iron instead of 150% (I'm assing extra follic acid seperately) because I have found that despite the levoxyl helping, the extra iron really stops me up.

    OK, that was all maybe a bit TMI, but I thought it might be helpful to know that there are others out there who get the thyroid thing. Feel free to ask questions whenever. And I'm glad you are getting some answers, even if it does mean taking a pill every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you finally have somewhat of an answer, and plan! Good luck in the next 6 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you got an answer and I hope they can do something to help!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found out I have hypothyroidism back in August. My TSH started out just above seven and after four weeks on 50 mcg of levothyroxine I was down to a TSH of just over 4. My PCP was fine with this level and suggested staying on the same dose. However, my RE nearly threw a fit and demanded that we increase my dose to get my level between one and two (for TTC). Make sure the doctor managing your thyroid care is knowledgable about how thyroid levels effect ttc. Good Luck! I hope this diagnosis/treatment will help you in your baby making efforts :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah for answers and a new plan! I'm sorry that it took a while for you to get them and that it means popping pills. On the bright side, all you have to do is pop pills! :)

    Speaking of popping pills, I can't recommend these vitamins enough. They are pricey, but my tummy really appreciates the splurge!

    http://www.healthfoodemporium.com/megafood/baby-and-me-herb-free.html?utm_source=Amazon&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Amazon-MegaFood&utm_content=MF-BabMe-HF-120

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you caught this at what seems to be early. So now you can educate yourself further on the subject and do what you need to do to get healthy. Hope it all turns out for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Knowing is half the battle. I hope you respond to the medicine and although you might have this the rest of your life, hopefully it is something you can manage. Wishing you the best! :)

    P.S. Glad your HSG wasn't too painful - when the doctor was shoving he dye in me the cramps were killer. Thankfully it was over quickly!

    ReplyDelete

If you can relate to this post or have an opinion about it, please leave a comment.

I do read everyone of them and look forward to hearing what you have to say.