Tuesday, June 21, 2011

2nd Second Opinion

So I didn't want to post about it until I was sure, but I scheduled a last minute appointment for a second opinion...er...third opinion. I am not that patient of a person, so there was no way I was waiting until September for an IUI.

So I had my appointment yesterday with a CPN who specializes in fertility in LC where I have been working a few days a week for the last several months. She was nice and I like her a lot. I'll admit, I did through my Dr. status weight around to get in ASAP. She was very knowledgeable and filled in the gaps in information I have gleaned from you guys and from the internet in general.

This is where we go two steps forward with one step back.


She suggested a little more bloodwork before we progress to IUIs. It seems as though she doubts some of the testing I've already had done and wants it repeated. She believes my TSH is under control now (mini-celebration on that one!!!) but she isn't sure I'm ovulating and is unsure about a LP defect. If you glance up top and view my BBT charts, she's apparently seeing something no one else does. However, my cycles do vary a bit and she just wants to double check.


If things are a go, I will have an IUI not next cycle, but the one after that, sometime in August I guess. If I'm not ovulating she is willing to try mildly medicated IUI cycles before doing dominant follicle studies with a triggered O IUI.


She reported the same IUI kit shortage as the other office, but they switched companies and have had a higher success rate with swim-up kits than any other kit they have ever used. They are however more expensive. But if you have to do one IUI at a higher cost with more likelyhood of success, I'd rather that than repeated IUIs with cheaper kits.


So, next on the list of things to do is a day 21 bloodwork (on the 4th of July, not sure how that will work) and then day 3 bloodwork.


8 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan- I'm glad you went to see her! The hospital should have a lab open on the 4th I would think. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the progress! Glad to hear you went for that 3rd opinion. Exciting, exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear the new doctor doesn't have a shortage of kits at least! It can be so frustrating when you have to repeat tests that you have already done, especially when you just want to get going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait - she thinks you Do or Don't have a LP defect? I wouldn't think you do based on your BBT charts.

    I've found that most docs don't trust other clinic's test results. Bizarre.

    That's good news that the IUi shortage won't derail you for quite a long as you were dreading! I agree with Bridge - hospital labs should be open for sure, even if it's a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great news, good for you going for a third opinion. Better IUI-kits as well. Good to have a plan, eh!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! So glad to hear you got a 2nd opinion, good for you for being proactive with this. It sounds like she's just being thorough, and hopefully you'll be doing that IUI in no time. Great news about your TSH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hm.... comment reply still isn't working. I'll double check that i posted the correct steps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. **Also make SURE that "show my email address" is checked up above that in privacy settings. It should show the blog email you just set up as the email address shown. To double check this, save your profile and go back into edit to see which email it shows on the right.

    ReplyDelete

If you can relate to this post or have an opinion about it, please leave a comment.

I do read everyone of them and look forward to hearing what you have to say.