Friday, September 23, 2011

Perhaps I was a little short...

...in my last post.

I was and still am a little frustrated about this cycle.

I am currently on CD 16. If I had not had that U/S scan on Tuesday, I would believe ovulation to be imminent or at least I would be questioning my BBT charting skills thinking perhaps I had ovulated and missed it.  I guess I would also have to question my skills at urinating on a OPK sticks too as those haven't shown a positive either.

On Tuesday, I was to have my follicle scan immediately followed by by administration of the HCG shot to trigger ovulation (yes, they insist on administering the shot in office and I get to pay about $50 for them to do it, or at least my insurance does) and an IUI would have happened on Wednesday.

But that's not how it went.

I asked the U/S tech to give me my numbers while she measured them, as having that wand where it was and simply staring at the ceiling just feels awkward.

She looks at rightly and says "wow, we have a lot of follicles" as she measures them, I hear 10mm, 10mm, 8mm, 6mm, 4mm...

So I asked "there aren't any larger than that"

"Nope"

She looks with the wand at lefty now, and I'm sure that there will be a large one as lefty was the over-achiever last month, and she says "10mm, 10mm, 8mm, 6mm, 4mm..."

I ask "are you sure you didn't miss any bigger ones?"

"Nope" <-real talkative this one

When she's done, I am asked to go and wait in the waiting room for Lulu to call me back, but I think I know what she is going to say. I've figured out how this game works and knew my body wasn't playing by the pre-established rules. I had to have a follicle larger than 18mm to trigger.

Sure enough she calls me back only to tell me that she doesn't feel I will ovulate this cycle. She said that we can still do OPKs and timed intercourse, but that even then our odds are slim that I will actually develop a mature follicle that will release and be able to fertilize, and then because my body has been fairly regular at a 28 day cycle that I will not have a long enough luteal phase to support a pregnancy. I then felt obligated to tell her about my poor TSH levels, and she supports my decision to pursue an appointment with an endocrinologist as well as lowering my own dose of levothyroxine. I asked the rest of my questions and here are the answers.

No she does not want to prescribe progesterone supplements to support my luteal phase.

No there is nothing she wishes to give me to help my follicles develop at this point in my cycle.

I told her no, I can't simply call her with a positive OPK and repeat the U/S and do an IUI as I can't get out of work that last minute. Boss lady tells me I must basically be dieing to call in sick.

So the discussion turned to next cycle.

She debated the pros and cons of using ovulation stimulants and basically left it up to me. She leaned toward wanting to attempt another natural cycle. I would like to get this show on the road. So she prescribed me 50 mg of Clomid for CD 3-7 for next cycle to ensure ovulation. Because I do typically cycle naturally, I had to sign a waiver that I am drastically increasing my odds for multiples. Intercourse is forbidden after CD 10 of next cycle due to our increased odds for multiples.

Perhaps I will still ovulate this cycle, and since H has been making changes, maybe we will get pregnant naturally. I'm not counting on it, once again (and this is hard to type) but I'm looking forward to seeing AF so we can get a move on with things.
 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, your last post was a bit short.. and angry! But that's very understandable. So, glad you can upper the game with some clomid. I know the feeling of wanting AF to arrive just to get started. Hang in there..

    ReplyDelete

If you can relate to this post or have an opinion about it, please leave a comment.

I do read everyone of them and look forward to hearing what you have to say.